Doing a Open House is no different for a FSBO than for a Realtor if your intention is to attract buyers to your property. Without a doubt Saturday (2:00 to 5:00) and Sunday (2:00 to 4:00) are the best times as that is what Realtors are doing. Below are some additional tips that will be helpful to your success.
- Advertise your open house. Ideally you should advertise both the weekend before and the weekend of the open house. Check with the local paper to see when their ad closing deadlines are. The internet is better than local paper.
- Create a property summary sheet. This sheet gives prospective buyers an overview of your home. Include dimensions for each room, copies of a property survey, summaries of utility costs and property taxes, and a list of when capital items such as roofs and furnace were added.
- Develop a sign-in form for prospects’ addresses. You’ll ideally want both phone numbers and e-mail addresses to follow up with prospective buyers.
- Put up signs. One or two days before the open house, place directional signs at major intersections within three to four blocks of your house. Be sure you check on anti-sign regulations in your area.
- Get your house ready. Remove clutter, clean your house, wash your windows, add flowers, turn on lights, open draperies and blinds, remove valuables and breakables, confine pets, turn on soft music, and set up a table for your property fact sheet near the entrance.
- Develop a follow-up sheet. Getting feedback on your home from prospects who attended your open house will give you a better understanding of how to make your home more appealing to buyers.
In closing you have to work hard and make sure you do all of the above and if everything works out you will get a couple of interested buyers. Don't be discouraged by poor attendance; remember in advertising the basic principle. The more you advertise the more you sell; one of the few direct relationships in marketing.