There are many ways to create a more exciting and saleable interior, at surprisingly little cost. Here are some suggestions on how to use sensory selling tools to improve each room.
People react more favourably to properties shown under bright light. These steps will help you keep your rooms bright.
- Keep windows clean
- Use adequate wattage in light bulbs
- Consider replacing old fluorescent lamps, which darken with use
- Use mirrors to magnify the feel of light and space
- Use track lights to create a high-tech look
- Open drapes and blinds and turn on lights prior to showings
A fundamental rule when selling your house is to keep colours neutral and light. The following are specific suggestions:
- White, beige and gray are the most popular exterior colours
- Shades of white, off-white and very light pastels are the safest choices for the interior
- Avoid high patterned wallpaper
- Try to limit bright colours to accents like fresh flowers, towels, area rugs, and shower curtains
The sounds of peace and quiet are some of the best sounds to have when your home is being shown to a prospective buyer. But there are other sound considerations of which you should be aware.
- Avoid barking dogs and noisy children if possible
- Avoid work sounds like vacuums, dishwashers and lawn mowers
- Make sure there are no sounds of mechanical problems like banging pipes or faulty appliances
- Light classical or instrumental music can be effective in creating a pleasing atmosphere
Smell has more impact than you might expect. If can work for you or against you.
- The smell of newness is positive. This scent can be achieved by applying a fresh coat of polyurethane to natural wood or latex paint to walls.
- The smell of cleanliness is important to the selling environment of your house. Beyond actually cleaning, lemon oil or lemon wax can create a lasting scent of freshness.
- Fresh flowers can be effective
- For a real heart-warming touch, place a dish of vanilla in a warm oven to create the aroma of fresh baked cookies or bread. Sweeten the refrigerator with a box of baking soda.
- Smells to avoid include strong pet odours, tobacco, cooking and oil or gas.